Dudes, we have to have a conversation. Just when I think that we as male members of the species are making progress, somebody has to go and be an a**hole. Now I know that I’m not talking to everyone here. There are plenty of respectful young men out there who work towards justice & equality, guys who would never, ever disrespect females. However, it seems that there are some stragglers out there that need a bit of dude-to-dude time regarding conduct in the 21st century.
My college aged brethren. I understand that you’ve got raging hormones & wandering eyes, I’ve been there. I understand that in an immersion situation, when you’re completely surrounded by other young men that you come up with “less than ideal” ideas involving members of the opposite sex. So, as an adult male, allow me to help you out with a basic list so that you don’t act like an a**hole.
- Women are not property & are not to be treated as such.
- Rape, sexual assault & sexually violent episodes are not subjects to be joked about.
- Although you may have heard that “taking advantage of women is part of a manly experience”, it isn’t. Don’t do it.
- Skirt length &/or visible cleavage does not equal sexual consent.
- Yes means Yes & No means No; you’re in college, you should understand basic vocabulary.
- If she’s drunk & stumbling, this means no sex for you.
- Nobody owes you anything, even if you paid for dinner, or drinks, or the entire date.
- Non-consensual nude pictures or videos are a form of sexual assault
In short, don’t be an a**hole. If you’re wondering if your behavior is appropriate, think about how your mother, grandmother or sister would react in the situation. If you think that they would react poorly, don’t do it. I know it’s rough being a young man. I’ve gone through it & it’s a time in my life I am glad I never have to repeat. Someday though, you’ll be all grown up & you’ll have the opportunity to help other young men, become men.