This Sunday, January 11th, is the National Human Trafficking Awareness Day. It is the day that advocates have put aside to inform the general public about human trafficking and the atrocities that it entails.
Human trafficking, a crash course:
- Human trafficking is the modern terminology for slavery.
- The American civil war didn’t end slavery, it only made it illegal in the USA.
- Estimates suggest more people in bondage today than at the height of the civil war.
- Human trafficking is a demand driven system (no demand, no supply).
- Although sex trafficking gets the most attention, far more are affected by forced labor.
- Human trafficking inordinately affects women & children.
- Human trafficking has been reported in every country in the world & every state in the USA.
- Very little sex trafficking actually involves kidnapping.
- Legal definition of trafficking is when one is forced to work through force, fraud, or coercion for no money beyond subsistence.
- Human trafficking can include organ trafficking, child soldering, debt bondage, sex trafficking, domestic servitude forced labor, and many other forms.
- Forced gang membership is equivalent to child soldering.
- You most likely purchase items made by forced labor on a regular basis.
- Boys can be trafficked for sex as well.
- A person under 18 cannot legally submit to sex therefore, there is no such thing as “underage prostitution”.
- Ignoring the problem doesn’t make it go away.
What you can do: (check out the whole “do-little list“)
- 1.888.373.7888 National human trafficking resource center (report it)
- Buy fair trade products (less likely to use forced labor)
- Buy from companies that signed on to the California Transparency in Supply Act (google it)
- Buy locally grown produce (less likely to use forced labor)
- Don’t buy commercial sex (just because they’re smiling in the ad doesn’t mean they’re willing)
- Learn your slavery footprint go to slaveryfootprint.org & take the test
- Fundraise & volunteer for an anti-trafficking org (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don’t just work for overseas orgs, domestic orgs need help)
- If you’re a guy, teach other guys that women aren’t property to be bought & sold
This whole day isn’t just about telling people about the horrors of HT, it’s about ending it. We can do this, if we try.